By the late 1950's our parish had grown to
approximately sixty families and our first rectory was acquired. In
1958, Sisters of the Holy Family came to teach catechism, and also started a
kindergarten for peoples of all faiths. They continued to serve this
public need until the public schools established their own years later.
The residence on Douglas was purchased for a convent
and a building was moved from the Buckeye Ranch and situated next door to be
used as a school and parish hall. The convent was converted to serve
as our rectory when the sisters left our community.
In April of 1979, a fire gutted the inside of our
church and during the restoration process, the confessionals and choir loft
were eliminated in order that additional seating space could be provided for
our ever growing St. Gall family.
In August, 1981, our St. Gall community witnessed a
beginning. The seed of faith had been planted and nurtured in the valley
through the years and had grown till the little red brick church was no
longer large enough for the community. The dream we had was one
of a new and larger church building with sacred space that was warm,
beautiful and expressive of the faith we have today We also needed to
provide office space for those who minister to our people. That dream
began in apprehension, in doubt, -- there was no building fund, not enough
visible assets to indicate that this dream could become a reality. But
there was faith, the faith of the people of St. Gall Parish who believe that
"with faith all things are possible".
The building of our new church was a journey of
faith. In the true spirit of togetherness, we began our long journey,
staffed with faith, prayer, and love. In October of 1982, the parish
launched a pledge drive which Fr. Corona said passed everyone's expectations.
Entertainer Wayne Newton volunteered his services for a fund-raiser benefit
dinner in 1983 and the money to begin the church was raised through other
parish projects, and sale of property and loans. A ground breaking
celebration based on the theme "A Dwelling Place for the Lord" was held on
October 23, 1983. Fr. Corona referred to the congregation as the
"living stones of the church."
A design committee approached the building of a new
church with open minds and eager hearts. The Parishioners expressed a
general consensus of opinion at parish workshops that the new church should
be warm, open, inviting and hospitable, using natural materials and having
an abundance of natural light, thereby reflecting the valley in which we
live. It should also conform to present and future liturgical needs.
Bishop Norman McFarland led 400 parishioners, clergy
and guests in a .6 mile procession from the old church on Highway 395 to the
new facility on Centerville Lane. Our new St. Gall church in its
physical form is truly a beautiful edifice, a peaceful building. It
stands as a sign of deep faith of the people of God in the Carson Valley.
We now make
this home our spiritual home. We must breathe into it a "soul" by
our community worship.
Our registered parish families grow in number each
year and at this time we have over 1500 and serve many of the faithful who
are vacationing in our beautiful area.